Friday, September 21, 2007

My attempt at a wet bag

I use cloth diapers most of the time. You may wonder why... I'm not a huge hippy person, I'm just environmentally conscious. It's because I don't even want to think about all the poopy and plastic and diaper chemicals that would be sitting in the landfill if I were to use disposables all the time! I also have found that although each cloth diaper is significantly more expensive than each disposable, they are easily washed, dried, and used again - with not much effort! It's just one extra load of laundry every couple of days really, I also like the fact that my cloth diapers are so cute! They're also not exposing my son's little bum to any weird chemicals.

See how cute! - Anderson as a newborn in a tiny little diaper I made!!!

Well... anyway, I have been using a nylon laundry bag for my diaper pail, but I felt like I needed a wet bag for whenever we're not at home, so I made one yesterday. For those who don't know, it's a bag which can be used to put wet/dirty items in, and it won't get other things outside of the bag wet or nasty. After we're done with diapers, I can use it for wet clothes from the lake, or whatever!

I made mine using the tutorial here: .
The tutorial was very helpful, and I think mine came out OK - I had some problems though. I think I need to brush-up on my PUL sewing skills. The main problem I had was that the PUL fabric was very sticky and since I had to sew parts of it "right-side to right-side", the shiny part was the outside and it was sticking to my presser foot. This was a problem because then it wouldn't move along, and ended up puckering a bit. I also had trouble with the "flap" part, over the zipper - somehow it got twisted... I don't know how that happened, but I'm guessing it's got something to do with the fact I didn't pin it or anything there. ( I didn't want to make holes in my bag...) Oh well. I did pin the sides, outside of the seam allowance, I also put a piece of paper over the PUL so it wouldn't stick, then tore it off after sewing the sides together, and they turned out great! I made it pretty big, I am planning to be able to put a couple of days worth of diapers in there. Overall it looks OK like I said, and it's definitely functional... take a look...

No comments: